Tuesday 31 March 2009

About

I want to take better pictures.  To do that, I feel I need to take more pictures.  Pull the camera out of the bag and press the shutter release as often as possible.  But alas, I am not very self-motivated.  I need a deadline.  I need public accountability.  And I need a direction.

A few years ago, I ran across the wonderful website Illustration Friday.  The basic premise was that each week illustrators from all over the world would draw something based on the chosen theme.  The artwork was wildly creative and amazingly diverse.  I was drawn to be a part of this global contribution, but, though I do a bit of art, there was no way I could really participate on a regular basis.

Another great influence was a site called simply breakfast.  I loved the concept and I loved the look of the blog: simple and focused on the photos.

So I combined the two ideas into Friday Photostorming.  There is a Photo Friday, but I didn't like that it's all text and that it takes a few clicks to even see a single picture.  I wanted a site that showcased the images. 

In this photoblog format, that means that only approved contributors are allowed to post images.  I'm cool with that.  So far, with only a few contributors, it means that I'm out there on display.  There is no hiding in a large crowd.  Public accountability at its finest.

No comments:

Post a Comment