Tuesday 31 March 2009

Rules - things to keep in mind

  • The purpose here is to brainstorm with photography.  Mix up interpretations of the theme and also how you use your camera to record them.  Maybe you'll only have one photo this week, maybe 11.  Think outside the box.  Try to see things in a new way.  Go for it.
  • All photos submitted have to be your photos -- taken by you (exceptions can be made for your spouse).  They can be new pictures taken for the assignment, or they can be old pictures that you dug out of your library, but they must be taken by you.  I don't care if you paid $1 million for the rights to a National Geographic photo, if you didn't take it, don't put it on this blog.
  • Please use post-processing software to prepare your image for viewing, but don't go crazy with it.  This isn't called "Friday Photoshopping."  I leave that to your own interpretation.
  • To contribute to the blog, you have to be invited to be a contributor.  If you would like to be a contributor, send me an email and ask.  If I don't know you, please send some references of some sort (a blog, webpage, web gallery that links back to you/your email address, or actual personal references).  I know that's mean and cranky, but you've never lived until people have uploaded p0rn to your webpage.
  • Don't upload p0rn.  I'm pretty liberal about what constitutes p0rn, but don't try to push the bounds of appropriateness.  If you want to run a picture by me first, feel free to email it to me.
  • All photos belong to you.  Uploading them to my blog doesn't give me any rights to them whatsoever.  That also means it's not my responsibility to protect your images from theft.  I am looking into a good means of protecting the images without compromising quality, but the onus of responsibility still falls on you.  One way to limit theft is to keep your images to a limited size.  The max width that will ever be displayed is 600 px, and they are currently displayed at 400px wide.  Or you can use a watermark, or whatever works for you.
  • Following on to all photos belonging to you, feel free to have your photos link to anywhere you want.  Typically, if you upload a photo in Blogger, the image is stored at your own location at picasaweb.com; and within the blog, clicking on the image takes you to a full-sized version of your image.  If you'd like your picture to link back to your webpage, your gallery, blog, or photo store for purchase, go for it.  
  • Aesthetics: To post your photos, start a new post.  Use the theme as your title.  Upload your photo or photos.  Post it.  If you would like to include any comments or EXIF data, do it in the comments section (as in, leave a comment on your own post).  This way, the front page is almost completely photos, the theme, and your name.  Feel free to rate your own photos.  You can make a post for each photo or you can put all the photos for one theme in one single post -- your choice.  But each post only gets one rating (with the stars).
  • If your photo dies (the image is broken), I'll give it a few days to fix itself, then I'll email you, and if I haven't heard anything back after a few days, I'll kill the image (delete the post).  Otherwise it's ugly.
  • Feel free to send me ideas about how to make this blog better.  Also, please send me theme ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment